Jambu Press/ Studio Saraswati seeks poems
for a special anthology project:
A FEATHER FLOATING on the WATER
poems for our children
A unique anthology of poetry for elementary age children in San Francisco by poets who live and/or work in the city. Copies of the book will be distributed to San Francisco elementary schools free of charge. The vision of the book is to offer our children the opportunity to know the work of poets who live among them—empowering our children to understand that poetry is a vibrant art form, and one vital to our humanity. Contributors will be considered to participate in a subsequent teaching program centered on poetry literacy in collaboration with a San Francisco arts and education organization. All proceeds from sales of additional copies of the book will benefit the project in its entirety.
1. Must currently live and/or work in San Francisco (and have done so for at least two years at time of submission).
2. Must be willing to forgo a contributors copy due to the nature of the project (copies will be available at cost to contributors).
3. Submit no more than 5 pages of recent, unpublished poetry (one poem per page) appropriate for elementary age readers (grades K-5). We especially seek shorter poems that embrace San Francisco and its environs. Possible themes are: Our City, Neighborhoods, Family, Animals, Nature, School, Food, Diversity, the Arts, Celebrations, and Feelings.
4. Bilingual submissions encouraged . . . please include an English translation.
5. Email submissions (highly preferred) must be made as attachments in BOTH .doc and .pdf (for line break integrity). Please include a 3 line bio in the body of your email with your name as you would want it to appear in print, and a brief statement about why you wish to be a part of this project. Write “Feather” on the subject line. Email to: email@example.com or mail submissions with above info and a SASE for response to: Virginia Barrett, editor Studio Saraswati, 1388 Haight St. #183 SF, CA 94117
DEADLINE for SUBMISSIONS: August 31, 2013
Jambu Press/Studio Saraswati is the publisher of the acclaimed anthology OCCUPY SF—poems from the movement, available through Small Press Distribution or on the website: www.occupyanthology.com